Phase Two of the process to develop the Harrisonburg Rockingham Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (HRMPO) 2045 long range transportation plan LRTP began in August and closed in mid-September. The number of survey responses exceeded expectations, and the HRMPO heard feedback from 685 community members on a list of proposed transportation projects, known as the draft Universe of Projects.
Throughout August and early September, HRMPO staff was able to get out into the community and hear directly from you. Our outreach efforts included:
- Bringing information and working booths at the Hispanic Festival in Harrisonburg, the Rockingham County Fair, and the After Dark at Gen Park concert series in Bridgewater;
- Hosting in-person open house information sessions at the Lucy F. Simms Center and Turner Ashby High School;
- Presenting to elected officials in every jurisdiction within our MPO boundaries – Harrisonburg City Council, Rockingham County Board of Supervisors, and the Town Councils for Bridgewater, Dayton, and Mount Crawford;
- Garnering support from local businesses across the region who helped us promote the survey by displaying posters and sharing our postcards; and
- Working with incredible community partners who helped us amplify information through their social media channels, email newsletters, and meetings.
This was the first time a HRMPO survey was available in English, Spanish, and Arabic. The HRMPO was thrilled to hear from community members in all three languages and to offer the opportunity for people across our region to participate in their native language.
The HRMPO is not done yet! We’ll be releasing a detailed summary of the survey results on our website next month. The feedback gathered in Phase Two will be factored into the scoring process as we evaluate each project and finalize the fiscally constrained Universe of Projects for the LRTP.
Phase Three is anticipated to begin in spring 2023. Community members can also get involved by attending our monthly HRMPO Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings or Policy Board meetings. The development of the LRTP will be discussed at each meeting between now and the start of Phase Three and members of the public are encouraged to attend and share additional feedback.